Saturday, 30 August 2014

Eating From the Pantry Challenge


So this week I have set myself a challenge- to eat from the pantry. This means I have a limited budget to work with for groceries (only buying milk, bread, eggs plus fruit and vege on special)
I've seen many other bloggers and friends do the same thing and thought it was about time I joined in. While I will be eating out of the pantry, I will also be buying fruit and vege that is in season to make sure I am still receiving nutritionally beneficial food. 

I first took a tally of what was in my pantry- brown rice, wholemeal cous cous, packet soups, pasta, tins of tuna and chicken. 

I also had some leftover mince in my freezer which I will be pairing with the pantry staple, lentils, to bulk it out and get two meals out of it. 

I'm not saying my meal plan is delicious sounding but I am going to try my best! 



Have you ever done/thought about doing the pantry challenge? Will you be joining me? 
If you have an tips for this challenge or how to reduce grocery bills (in Australia so without coupons!) I would love to hear them!

-Grace

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, we do this sometimes! We just have too much & we keep buying that every now and again we eat from the freezer and definitely the pantry. I am so happy that someone else does it. You're right, its a great way to save. I am coming by from the Sits link up. Lots of love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good way to clear out the pantry and make sure everything gets used!

      Delete
  2. I've definitely tried eating from the pantry before, but I never managed to make a real meal plan - go you! I just wound up eating weird things like peanut butter crackers and pumpkin seeds for dinner by the end of the week.

    Stopping by from The SITS Girls - I also host a link up on Saturdays called Financially Savvy Saturdays and this post is exactly the kind we look for, I'd love it if you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no, it definitely takes some planning and creativity to make it work but pumpkin seeds are delicious anyway!
      Thanks for letting me know, I'll be stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Great way to use up items in a pantry before they might otherwise expire. This post caught my eye at the Saturday Sharefest. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails