Monday, 27 January 2014

Valentine's Day Lunchbox

I just love to celebrate any holiday I can get my hands on, I swear. Of course I adore Valentine's Day. I used to spend all day Valentine's Day waiting for a rose from a special someone. I never got one until I met Byron and then the next Valentine's Day he had 20 delivered to me at school. It was very romantic and it was more than anyone else got. I was swept up in the romance that day and have been ever since.

That was a long time ago though. Things are still quite romantic but we're not in high school any more! On Valentine's Day, Byron is usually working while I'm still on uni holidays. That makes it the perfect time for me to go the extra mile and put in some effort. I like to make Byron a packed lunch to take with him to work. I don't like to make things too over-the-top because I don't want to completely embarrass him in front of his colleagues (especially this year as he starts a new job!). And of course, I like to keep things healthy with maybe just a little sweetness thrown in to celebrate.

This year is no exception.








This year's lunch is nice and healthy. We have a butternut pumpkin, feta and tomato salad (all shaped like hearts, duh) with a balsamic dressing. Then there's a love-ified apple (Granny Smith- Byron's favourite with a smaller bit of Pink Lady- my favourite), juice pulp crackers cut into hearts with some cheese and finally, homemade trail mix.


I made the salad by roasting slices of butternut pumpkin until they were soft enough to be cut with my heart-shaped cookie cutter. I roasted them a bit longer until they were soft and then I served it with mixed lettuce, feta cut into hearts and little perino tomatoes cut at a 45 degree angle and stuck together with a toothpick to form a heart. The balsamic dressing is on the side. 


The juice pulp crackers recipe I got from Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth . I used my leftover celery, apple and lemon pulp and mixed it with parsley, sea salt and black pepper. I cut the hearts out when I rolled the dough out thinly before baking. I may or may not have just eaten half of these while writing this...


The homemade trail mix is just almonds, cashews, dried cranberries and pink M&Ms mixed together. I stashed some aside for my own nibbling. 


And for a bit of dessert check out my Valentine's Day post from last year, where I shared my raspberry, pomegranate and pear Valentine's Day "cupcake". 






-Grace

10 comments:

  1. I'm like you Grace - any reason to celebrate! These lunch box ideas are adorable for kids and grown ups alike. I love it!! Happy Valentine's Day :) ❤ #sitsblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentine's Day to you too, Emily!

      Delete
  2. Oh this all looks so good and hopefully doesn't embarass him! Love it!

    Stopping by with comment love from the SITS girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I hope so too! I even made a little chocolate heart for him so I'm sure he'll forgive me even if he does get embarrassed!

      Delete
  3. Wish I had seen this earlier to share with my friends. It's a great idea to send kids off to school with something cute and yummy! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet! I wish I would have thought to surprise my husband with something like today:) Stopping by from your SITS Girls Tribe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just become a habit of mine these past couple of years! It always gets appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a creative lunch! I am so amazed by creative people who can take food to another level and who aren;t afraid to try things in the kitchen. I'm not very brave that way. I will definitely be back to check out some of your recipes! Stopping by from #SITSBlogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a kind comment! Thank you so much! I guess I've had a bit of practice (studied Hospitality Operations) but I'd encourage you to be creative in the kitchen too! Even if you need to do a practice-run, it always makes things just that extra special.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails