Friday, 24 January 2014

Healthy Apple Crumble Made From Juice Pulp

I have been on a real dessert fix lately. My body almost expects it an hour after dinner and if I don't get it, I go to bed cranky. I will not let my cravings undo all my hard work! To combat them I knew I had to make a healthy substitute that I wouldn't feel bad about eating after dinner. I've also been juicing a lot and have been keeping the pulp like some sort of mad woman in the hopes I will make something from the remainders.


Here comes the solution: healthy apple crumble made with leftover pulp from my juice! I used the apple juice in an apple, beet, carrot and cucumber juice and it was delicious.








Ingredients for Apple Mixture:
-5-6 apples, the sweeter the better
-1 cup water
-2 tbls maple syrup
-pinch of nutmeg
-pinch of cinnamon


Ingredients for Crumble:
-1/2 cup rolled oats
-1/4 cup Almond Meal (can replace with more oats)
-3 tbls ground flaxseed or chia seeds
-2 tbls coconut oil
-2 tbls maple syrup
-coconut sugar for topping

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
Core the apples and juice 4-5 of them in the juicer, keeping one aside. You can use the juice however you please but first remove the apple pulp before juicing anything else.

Add the pulp, water, maple syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon in a saucepan and heat over low, stirring occasionally. You can choose to add chunks of the last apple here for a chunkier apple crumble or you can slice it and add it to the mixture later. I did neither of these as I used all my apples for my juice but it still turned out great.


While the apple mixture is stewing, add the rolled oats, almond meal and flaxseed to a food processor and blitz to combine.

Then add the coconut oil and maple syrup and pulse until a sticky, crumbly mixture forms. You can add more oil if you think it needs it. 



When the apple mixture is stewed thoroughly and the water has evaporated, pour it into an ovenproof dish. Then spread the crumble mixture over the top. Finally, sprinkle some coconut sugar or brown sugar over the top. 
Bake for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown. 


You can serve this with some light cream, a dollop of ice cream or, like I've been doing lately, you can put it on top of a tub of greek yoghurt and dig in. 









 -Grace




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails