Friday, 4 October 2013

Friday Feature: Homemade Ketchup from SkinnyTaste

This recipe is from SkinnyTaste.com and you can find it here


What a day! It's my last week of holidays, I have to return to all the torture of uni on Monday and wouldn't you know, I don't have half my work done! Typical... I found better ways to spend my days, obviously! I thought I could push it off until the weekend but I now have a trial at a store in the city tomorrow and a dress rehearsal for an upcoming short film on Sunday. How will I get everything done??

One thing I have decided is that I am going to have a damn fine tasty meal before the week is out and this... oh boy.... this is just the PERFECT accompaniment to what I have planned (fish and chips!).
As a kid, I loved tomato sauce. As an adult, I also love it. Buuuuut I don't love all the added preservatives and sodium that often comes with store bought sauce. Enter homemade tomato sauce (or ketchup for my international readers)! When I first tried this recipe I was so, so excited and continuously poured some sauce out on my finger and was so amazed at how it tasted exactly like the store-bought variety. It passed the boyfriend test too, it just tastes exactly the same!! And it was so incredibly easy to make, I will never buy store bought tomato sauce again!





On with the recipe:

Ingredients:



  • 3/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Method:

Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk until smooth.


Once it boils, reduce to a simmer. The recipe said for 20 minutes but I found that it spattered a lot, even on my smallest flame, so I moved it so that the flame only touched a little bit of the pan so it wasn't so exposive. Continue to stir it every now and then. Remove from heat and keep covered until cool. 


Then you can store it in a container in the fridge- mine has kept for 2 weeks thus far but I've read that it will keep for even longer. I put mine in an old sauce bottle I had and everyone is none the wiser heh heh heh. 

There you have it, my first Friday Feature. Thank you to SkinnyTaste for the recipe, check out her blog for more amazing recipes. 

-Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails