Sunday, 29 September 2013

Baked Sweet Potato Wedges

Hello there!

Well I am a girl who keeps her promises. It may take me a while to fulfil them but you'd better believe I will! So, as promised, my BAKED SWEET POTATO WEDGES recipe is here at last.





Serves 2 mains or 4 sides

Prep Time- 5-10 minutes with 20-30 minutes of soaking time
Cooking Time- 20-30 minutes

Ingredients
-decent sized sweet potato (or two smaller ones)
-olive oil spray
-steak seasoning
-paprika
-garlic powder
(These three can be swapped for other spices, such as Mexican seasoning, Cajun seasoning etc etc- just watch your heat levels!)

Optional:
-light tasty/mozzarella cheese
-plain Greek yoghurt or sour cream
-sweet chilli sauce

Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius.

Cut up your sweet potato into wedge-sized pieces (size depends on how much you like the sweet potato's natural flavour- if not much, cut smaller) I don't believe in microwaving the potatoes to soften them up, and for this recipe please don't! Please don't use a paring knife to cut the sweet potato, use a chef's knife or other large knife. It may be daunting but you have proper control over a large knife that you just can't have with a paring knife. I'm thinking of doing a post on proper knife skills one day... Maybe even a video...

Once you have cut the sweet potatoes, place the wedges into a bowl of warm/hot water and leave for 20-30 minutes. Pat dry.

Grease a tray or wire rack with oil.
Now, you can choose to either place your spices in a bowl, spray your wedges with oil and swish them around or you can do what I do and place the wedges on the tray, spritz with oil (to control my oil spray, I don't hold down continuously, I just go *spritz-spritz-spritz*), add the seasoning to one side of the wedges and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Then remove the tray, flip the wedges and repeat. I find that this way gives me better control over the spice-to-wedge ratio. With the other method, oftentimes one side will come out with no spice. Nobody likes no-spice side!

To check if your wedges are done, use a fork to gently see if the insides are a nice firm- not too hard, not too soft. You want to still be able to pick them up and dip them but don't want them tasting all raw-potato-ey.

You can either choose to add cheese over the top of the wedges now or what I usually do is put them in a bowl and top with a little bit of cheese (because cheese is my weakness and otherwise I might be a bit too heavy-handed) and then microwave them until the cheese is melted. This method makes the wedges ultra-hot though so they need about ten minutes of cool-down time (which I hardly adhere to, my poor burnt mouth will attest to).

Top with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and some sweet chilli sauce.


Hmm.... my tummy just rumbled....


Please let me know what you think!


And hey, to those who follow my blog, I will soon be starting "Friday Features" where I feature a tried and tested recipe to share with you guys! Hey, someone has to do all the hard, delicious work and really, I don't mind!!

-Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails