Thursday, 28 February 2013

Raspberry, Pear & Pomegranate Yoghurt Loaf



Don't worry, I didn't forget that I was going to share this recipe with you! It has just been one hectic week, I started uni again and despite going only part time I still have to go in to uni four days a week. It doesn't help that this week Byron and I have already attended two concerts and will be going to a full day festival tomorrow! On Tuesday we saw Blink 182 (my fave band) at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. What a lousy venue to see a rock band! It's a heritage building so they can't change the layout but how stupid is it to have seats at the front and general admission at the back on the grass?! I couldn't see anything, the further up the hill I went- the tinier they all got. 

But the next night was so much better. I skipped uni (whoops) so we could get to Rod Laver Arena early. We were poured on and absolutely freezing but Byron and I got right up the front at the barrier for Stone Sour & Linkin Park. I don't know any Stone Sour songs but Byron did and I still enjoyed their set. When Linkin Park came on it was so amazing, we were even lucky enough to come home with a pick and drumstick (and it had been used during the night, not just one from out back). It was definitely our favourite concert yet. I am determined tomorrow at Soundwave to get right up the front for Blink as I had such a crap time at their concert, even though their songs were amazing and they played my all time favourites (All of This & Carousel!)
With our spoils from Linkin Park
And you know what? I took dinner into a mosh pit. And I ate it while we were all sitting down. I got some odd looks but hey, I wasn't hungry at 11 when we all got out. We had lunch before we left and I brought fruit to snack on in the line. Tomorrow we're taking a backpack and you'd better believe we're bringing food. Whenever someone tells me I can't bring food in I either tell them I'm on a special diet or I have hypoglycemia and have been put on a special diet. I don't have to use this lie often but when I do they leave me alone. I shouldn't have to be forced to choose unhealthy options because that is all a venue provides! I digress, onto my recipe for today:

Raspberry, Pear & Pomegranate Loaf/Muffin




You may have already seen this on my Valentine's Post or on my Torquay Post and I promised I would share this recipe with you. On Valentine's Day I made this into muffins topped with Greek Yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and a watermelon heart. For my friend's birthday I made her a hamper with this loaf, a recipe book, apples, nuts, muesli and fresh flowers. 




Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp margerine/butter
  • 1/2cup applesauce
  • 3/4 cup sugar substitute/sugar ( I used natvia and Stevia)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1.5 cups self-raising whole wheat flour (or plain with more baking powder added)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yoghurt
  • 1-2 pears diced
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius. 
Beat butter and applesauce together at low speed until it becomes creamy. 
Add sugar substitute until combined.
Add eggs one at a time until just blended.

In another bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. 
Gradually add in to applesauce mixture, alternating the flour mixture with the yoghurt mixture so you add a bit of both each time (it's easier to see if the consistency is coming together). 
Beat at a low speed until everything is combined. It will be all gluggy and oozy.
Add in diced pear, raspeberries and most of your pomegranate seeds, folding them in gently. 

Pour into a greased loaf tin or muffin trays. Top with the rest of the pomegranate seeds to make them pretty (I added some almonds on top too for a crunchy crust)

If in muffin trays, put in oven for about 20 minutes (check every ten minutes). If in a loaf tin it will take about an hour, use a skewer to check after this time. If it comes out still wet then it needs more time. 

It makes a really dense loaf because of the yoghurt, but it is so yummy to have a slice of this for breakfast.

I recommend storing these in the fridge because of the yoghurt in them and they freeze really well too!

Enjoy!

-Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails