Thursday, 24 January 2013

Take 1- Hello there!


After many many weeks, maybe months, of consideration, I have decided to start a blog. Specifically, a healthy eating blog. I chose the title ‘Healthy In Design’ as I am studying fashion design (I graduate in 2014!) and the way in which people at my university eat was actually concerning me. 

So allow me to introduce myself. My name is Grace, I live in Melbourne, Australia and I study fashion design with hopes of becoming a costume designer for film and television one day. Like many girls, I have struggled with my weight and body issues. When I moved to Melbourne two years ago it became an even bigger struggle. I gained weight without even realising it and I gained it in a very unhealthy way. I was so concerned with uni that I wasn’t eating breakfast or lunch, I was just getting home and eating a HUGE dinner- usually a giant bowl of spaghetti with cheese sprinkled over it. In my head I thought that this was okay because I hadn’t eaten all day. That is NOT how healthy eating or weight loss works at all. I was so surprised that I was gaining all this weight that I got caught up in calorie counting and the same thing happened- I would save up all my calories and then have a really large dinner and despite it being less than my total calorie intake allowance, I was still gaining weight. 

I would go to university and see all these skinny girls and feel horrible about myself. But then I would go to the bathroom and hear a girl throwing up and I realised that I really did not want to end up there. Something needed to change. I had gone on a few diets before but never managed to keep the weight off. Instead, I changed my perspective. I changed my lifestyle. I started buying fruits and vegetables, not packaged and microwavable foods. I started exercising five days a week. I started eating breakfast- a first for me! 

Months later, here I am- still on the straight and narrow. I don’t even notice the weight loss really, but all my clothes are too big and people that haven’t seen me in ages tell me that I look great. What I did notice was how much healthier I feel. How much stronger I feel! And I’m here to hopefully help others begin their journey- not of weight loss, but of a healthy lifestyle change. Come with me, share your journey too and we’ll help each other along. 

My next post will be a simple, healthy pancake recipe to get us started. See you then!

-Grace

*NOTE* Nobody knows you better than you, but your doctor is a good place to start when you are changing your lifestyle. I’m not a doctor or a dietician, so it is advisory that you seek their opinions first!

I have, however, studied Hospitality Operations so you can be assured that my recipes follow basic safety and HACCP procedures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails