Saturday, 26 January 2013

Quick & Easy Pancakes





Happy Australia Day to all Aussies celebrating in our beautiful country and overseas! As promised, my first real blog post is to do with one of the best breakfast foods ever. Pancakes! The problem with pancakes is that they can be loaded up with a lot of fat and sugar both in the batter and afterwards. Eep! 

My recipe for pancakes is super simple. Like, seriously... so simple. 3 ingredients simple. And there is no waiting around for the batter to chill in the fridge!

I’ve found that it makes about 6 - 8 pancakes, depending on how big you make them! 

What you will need:

1 cup of Self Raising Flour
1 cup of low-fat milk (soy, almond and rice all welcome here... I used rice milk!)
1 egg, lightly beaten (or add a bit of vegetable oil)

Optional- 1 mashed banana (then you can use less egg or oil!)

What I love about this recipe is that you can go ahead and health it up! I used rice milk, a banana and a little bit of oil but definitely try experimenting with whole wheat flour- the trick is to add baking powder as whole wheat flour doesn’t rise and get all fluffy. 

Steps:

  1. Add everything to a bowl and mix with beaters to ensure a smooth batter. 
  2. Heat a touch of oil (I used a spray) in a fry pan over medium heat . 
  3. Start cooking! Use a ladle to spoon out the batter into the pan.


These pancakes freeze wonderfully. Put them in pairs in the freezer and you can grab some, zap them in the microwave and have a great breakfast on the go! 

Get creative with the toppings, I used strawberries and greek yoghurt- yuuuumm! You can even add fruit to the batter- berries work amazing and so does orange zest. 


I added up the calories but if you read my previous post you know how I feel about calorie counting. I’ll just say that two of these pancakes (with fruit) make up 3/4-3/5 of what your breakfast should be! And I struggled to finish two, I found them quite filling. 

If you make them, be sure to post some pictures for me to see! 

So now I’m going to go and enjoy Australia Day with my boyfriend, I think we’ll cook a barbie and watch a movie. Sounds like a good night in to me! 

Join me for my next post: Crumbed chicken and avocado pizzas! 

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails