Thursday, 31 January 2013

Crumbed Chicken & Avocado Pizza on Whole Wheat Base




Now, just so we're clear, I am not a big pizza fan... The only pizza shop pizzas I like have a BBQ sauce base. I don't know why, but tomato bases have always made me feel sick, ever since I was little. I think they give me indigestion or something, anyway, the pizza has never been worth the indigestion. 

Luckily, my mum and I had a little brainstorming one day and came up with an avocado-based pizza, not too different than this one! Though I fell in love with the old pizza, it had bacon and lots and lots of cheese. This one is way healthier, especially if you make your own pizza dough though you can use a store bought one or a wholemeal wrap. My boyfriend, Byron, bought light crackers the other day to have with his tuna and half of them were already smashed, don't you hate that? Well you will, until you try this recipe! The crackers make such an awesome crumb for the chicken and these pizzas are seriously filling. I made four small ones for me and Byron and I could NOT eat my two, I was struggling after one! 

This is super tasty, I put mozzarella on one of them but I actually liked it without the mozzarella. I also topped some with feta, balsamic vinegar and plain Greek yoghurt and they were by far my favourites. Let me know if you tried anything different and how it turned out! 




Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (from Kristin in her Kitchen)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour (plain or self-raising, depending on whether you like a crispy or fluffy base)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
Pinch of Salt

Optional
Garlic salt (to taste)

Kristin: Preheat oven to 400. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and knead by hand in bowl for about 2 minutes. Place onto baking sheet and press out into desired shape (thinner crust works better for this recipe). Bake for 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick it is). Take it out, add sauce and toppings, then bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until toppings are cooked and edges of crust are lightly browned.




Crumbed Chicken & Avocado Pizza
 (serves 4 small or 2 large eaters)
Ingredients:


-1 chicken breast
-2 cups fresh spinach
-1 avocado
-1/4 red onion

Optional:

-Feta cheese
-Mozzarella
-Balsamic Vinegar
-0% Fat Plain Greek yoghurt to top

Crumb:

-1 cup light crackers, crushed
-2 tbls parmesan cheese
-mixed herbs


-1 egg, lightly beaten (or milk!)
-Whole wheat flour (to coat)

METHOD

  1. Preheat oven to 180*C 
  2. Cut the chicken breast into tenders
  3. Dip in flour, egg/milk then coat in crumb mixture. I find using one hand to toss the mixture over the chicken keeps both hands from getting sticky.
  4. Place on tray and put in oven for around 15-20 minutes (but do check on them as all ovens are different, I know mine sure is!)
  5. While the chicken is cooking prepare the bases.
  6. Mash up the avocado and spread on the base/s.
  7. Then add the spinach and red onion.
  8. Take chicken pieces out of oven and place onto pizzas.
  9. Top with your desired cheese options (if any)
  10. Cook until cheese melts (though with feta it is more difficult) 
  11. Take out of oven and serve with balsamic vinegar and the yoghurt!



Best served immediately as the bases don't keep well.
I'd love to see any pictures of your own pizzas or hear any tips!

I'll be doing a special Healthy Breakfast Options post next time so stay tuned!

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails